Being a staple food of Italian cuisine, PASTA is one of the most versatile dishes out of the list of delicacies offered by Italy. A nice blend of flavors with endless experiments and options in relation to the sauce it gets cooked in, this dish is loved by one and all. Its widespread fame has brought this dish on the dining tables of food lovers globally.
Traditionally available in different shapes & sizes and made up of either all-purpose flour or wheat-flour mixed up with water and eggs makes this dish a flavorful yet a time-taking serving for a plate full of flavors. But, here at foodieekitchen, you are about to explore a different form of pasta that not only will change the traditional way of cooking it, but will take down the count of calories from this Italian serving.
Yes! You read that right. Blast of flavors in every bite, but in a completely altered edition to offer a healthy route to enjoy this Italian delicacy. To end the temptation and to begin with the journey of healthy & flavorful pasta, underneath is a meticulous ingredient list, along with simple and easy step-by-step guide to cook and taste healthy zucchini pasta with arrabbiata sauce.
For Zucchini Noodles
2 Zucchini Peeled
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/4 cup Water
Salt and Ground Black Pepper to Taste
For Red Pasta Sauce
8 Fresh Tomatoes
½ cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
4 medium-sized Onions (finely chopped into dices)
3-4 large Garlic Cloves (minced)
4 tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 tablespoon Sugar Powder
1/2 tablespoon Sea Salt
½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Italian Herb Mix
8-10 leaves of Fresh Basil
1 tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Coriander
1 teaspoon Fresh Oregano
Let’s start with healthy zucchini noodles
- To start with, you will need a vegetable peeler to cut lengthwise slices of zucchini. Stop peeling once you reach the seed level.
- Keep on turning the zucchini over and peel the zucchini in long strips. Once done, discard seeds and thin down the zucchini strips that somewhat appear close to spaghetti pasta.
- Take some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Keep stirring and cook the zucchini in hot oil for a minute. Once done, add some water and cook till zucchini gets soften (approx. 5-7 minutes).
The Saucy Journey
- To start with, take a large pot filled with water and bring it to boil. Slitting each tomato in ‘x’ shape from its base, place them in the boiling water.
- Let it boil for 1 minute on high flame
- Using a large spoon, take the tomatoes from the boiling water and place them in a large bowl full of ice water.
- Now using a pointed knife, peel back the skin and remove the cores.
- After a few minutes take out the tomatoes and coarsely chop tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Now take a large pan and heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Spread oil evenly to grease the pan evenly.
- Now add diced onion to the pan and sauté them by stirring them continuously until they turn transparent (approx 3-4 mins)
- Add finely chopped garlic and sauté it for 1 minute. Make sure garlic doesn’t turn brown.
- Now add tomato paste and stir continuously for another 1 minute.
- Add boiled & chopped tomatoes, sea salt, sugar, Italian herbs and black pepper and keep stirring to mix and blend each ingredient into one.
- Now let the sauce mix come to a boil and keep adjusting the flame heat to let the sauce simmer, cover it and let it cook by occasionally stirring it till the tomatoes are not chunkier anymore and the sauce thickens. (This step might take approx. 20-25 mins)
- Now the best step, the last step. Take off the pan from heat and let it set for 2 minutes. Give a nice mix to the sauce.
Plating the delicacy
- 2 large spoon zucchini noodles placed in the center of the serving plate and surround it with hot & healthy arrabbiata sauce.
- Garnish with basil leaves, coriander leaves and fresh oregano.
This healthy version of your favorite Italian delicacy ‘PASTA’ will surely make it to your dining table every now and then. This dish is not only super healthy, but is equally full of flavors to satisfy your taste buds.
Stay Healthy & Satisfy Your Italian Craving!